cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] cc-licenses Digest, Vol 49, Issue 21

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Thinh Nguyen <thinh AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] cc-licenses Digest, Vol 49, Issue 21
  • Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 13:23:35 -0400

The answer to the first question is yes. See:

http://wiki.creativecommons.org/FAQ#I_used_part_of_a_Creative_Commons-licens
ed_work.2C_which_Creative_Commons_license_can_I_relicense_my_work_under.3F

Under CC-BY, you cannot change the license of the original work to something
else (like GFDL), but you can incorporate the work into a Collective Work,
and the rest of the Collective Work does not have to be licensed under
CC-BY. You still have to meet attribution requirements, etc.

However, it is up to you to ensure that you can meet this condition and also
comply with whatever requirements also exist under GFDL (which I am not
opining on).

Thinh

> Message: 1
> Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 18:34:39 +0200
> From: "Erik Moeller" <erik AT wikimedia.org>
> Subject: [cc-licenses] CC-BY=>CC-BY-SA/GFDL
> To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts"
> <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
>
> A couple of simple questions:
>
> Can CC-BY material be incorporated into CC-BY-SA material?
> Can CC-BY material be incorporated into GFDL material?
>
> We have such compatibility from BSD or PD into GPL, and it's pretty
> important in that context -- but it's not clear to me if the same
> principle is applicable for these scenarios. CC-BY seems to require
> that no new restrictions can be applied beyond the original licensing,
> and that would seem to make the licenses incompatible. Is that
> interpretation correct? If so, can this problem be solved? It seems
> that at least unidirectional compatibility would be desirable.

  • Re: [cc-licenses] cc-licenses Digest, Vol 49, Issue 21, Thinh Nguyen, 04/20/2007