cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] current metadata specs?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Eric Garner <ejgarner AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] current metadata specs?
  • Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2007 19:56:00 -0700 (PDT)

--- Lucas Gonze <lucas.gonze AT gmail.com> wrote:

> I am really frustrated by the labor involved in CC
> licensing for my
> own music. It's not clear what I am supposed to do,
> and the tools are
> just a bummer to make work. EG cli-tools doesn't do
> Ogg.

As for the *HOW*, your audio production software
should have something built right in to handle the
embedding of metadata, if I'm understanding your
question correctly. The metadata gets saved with the
project, and remains intact even after you convert the
music to a final master or mp3. For instance, in FL
Studio you simply hit the F11 key to bring up a
"project info" window where you'd type in all your
metadata. The info then stays attached to the music
file permanently. (No Ogg support in FL, but I'm just
using that software as an example.) Look in your own
software's documentation to see how this is handled.
It's much easier to embed metadata in this stage than
having to use extra software to do it later.