cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] CC-BY=>CC-BY-SA/GFDL

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: James Grimmelmann <james AT grimmelmann.net>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] CC-BY=>CC-BY-SA/GFDL
  • Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 12:48:48 -0400

Erik Moeller wrote:
> A couple of simple questions:
>
> Can CC-BY material be incorporated into CC-BY-SA material?

Yes.

> Can CC-BY material be incorporated into GFDL material?

Yes.

> We have such compatibility from BSD or PD into GPL, and it's pretty
> important in that context -- but it's not clear to me if the same
> principle is applicable for these scenarios. CC-BY seems to require
> that no new restrictions can be applied beyond the original licensing,
> and that would seem to make the licenses incompatible. Is that
> interpretation correct? If so, can this problem be solved? It seems
> that at least unidirectional compatibility would be desirable.

The no-new-restrictions rule refers to restrictions placed by the
licensee on the work supplied by the original licensor. Anyone who
comes across the CC-BY-SA material or the GFDL material is free to use
the original CC-BY work under the original CC-BY terms. The licensee is
free to license her contributions to the combined work on whatever terms
she likes, including CC-BY-SA and GFDL.

James