cc-licenses - [cc-licenses] CC-BY=>CC-BY-SA/GFDL

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Erik Moeller" <erik AT wikimedia.org>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [cc-licenses] CC-BY=>CC-BY-SA/GFDL
  • Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 18:34:39 +0200

A couple of simple questions:

Can CC-BY material be incorporated into CC-BY-SA material?
Can CC-BY material be incorporated into GFDL material?

We have such compatibility from BSD or PD into GPL, and it's pretty
important in that context -- but it's not clear to me if the same
principle is applicable for these scenarios. CC-BY seems to require
that no new restrictions can be applied beyond the original licensing,
and that would seem to make the licenses incompatible. Is that
interpretation correct? If so, can this problem be solved? It seems
that at least unidirectional compatibility would be desirable.

--
Peace & Love,
Erik

"An old, rigid civilization is reluctantly dying. Something new, open,
free and exciting is waking up." -- Ming the Mechanic