cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] different license for different bitrate

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] different license for different bitrate
  • Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 08:54:33 -0500

On Thursday 14 December 2006 08:39 am, Mia Garlick wrote:
> heya, first up - i don't read the original posting as asking that. i
> read the original posting as asking whether you can have one version
> of the work under a CC license and a version of the work in a
> different format under an ARR copyright.
>
> secondly, in your hypo, i think the answer is no. just because
> someone has offered something under one set of license terms (license
> A, let's say) and then another (license B), doesn't give licensee A
> the authority to switch to license B. however, as a practical matter
> this question may be moot because if licensee B became aware of the
> less restrictively licensed work then they could go and take a copy
> under that license and so become a licensee under that license.

Mia, I think you are missing the play in my example. The BY-SA is at a lower
quality than the BY-NC-ND. Can they get a copy of each and then transfer the
BY-SA to the higher quality copy? I was told they could because it was the
same "work" as far as copyright law was concerned. I was told that, in
effect, I had given the BY-SA license out for the work and that the higher
quality file was an instance of the same work and not a different work under
copyright law.

This is why I have asked for a good while now if this has to be this way. I
would like to, and had started to, explore a funding model where I could
preset sales volumes where better and better quality "versions" of works
could move to BY-SA over time.

I will see if I can find the original thread in the archives and post a link.