cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Parallel Distribution Statement

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: James Grimmelmann <james AT grimmelmann.net>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Parallel Distribution Statement
  • Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2006 16:59:48 -0500

Terry Hancock wrote:
James Grimmelmann wrote:
With parallel distribution, DRM doesn't create incompatible pools. The unencumbered version always allows individuals to take the work back to the lingua franca of no DRM.

If you really believe this, then you haven't been paying as much
attention to this discussion as you claim to have.

It has been clearly demonstrated that such pools are created by a TPM+PD
clause: one for each DRM-locked platform.

You are using "pool" in a different sense than I was. I meant that under an anti-DRM clause with parallel distribution codicil, one can always export any distributed CC-licensed work to an unlocked platform. In that sense, every such work under the same license is in the same pool; they can be combined together in new derivative works on the unlocked platform.

James