cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Parallel Distribution Statement

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: rob AT robmyers.org
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Parallel Distribution Statement
  • Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2006 15:42:50 +0000

Quoting "Benj. Mako Hill" <mako AT atdot.cc>:

Perhaps more importantly, everyone in this discussion (myself included)
seems to be indifferent, at best, to the most popular CC licenses. Do
you feel that any consensus we might come to is representative of CC
users given that a majority of licenses choose non-SA and NC works and a
good chunk choose ND?

I believe that the single most used license is NC-SA:

The single most used module (after BY ;-) ) is NC.

Do you think your copyleft-centric refutation is meaningful in the
context of the majority of CC works which are not copyleft?

Subverting copyleft is a specific example of the more general problem of
subversion of the terms of the CC licenses. DRM can also prevent free
redistribution under BY, or stretch NC.

I still really think that we need answers to the following questions:

1. Who is allowed to add DRM to the work? Do you have to be a rights holder?

2. Isn't DRM distribution allowed by the current licenses anyway?

See, er:

http://mako.cc/copyrighteous/ip/20061115-00.html

(via MJ Ray) for why I ask whether distribution is already permitted.

- Rob.