cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Parallel Distribution Statement

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Terry Hancock <hancock AT anansispaceworks.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Parallel Distribution Statement
  • Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 03:22:49 -0600

James Grimmelmann wrote:
> That some readers will not be careful about their backups and about
> acquiring non-DRMed versions does not strike me as a good reason to
> prevent them from being able to acquire DRMed copies at all.

No one is arguing against the right to "acquire" DRM'd copies. We just
want the path to that to be that of applying the DRM after you receive
the work. This matters because it excludes monopoly control of the DRM
application process, which in turn impedes end-user freedoms.

This is a continuing conflation of "use" versus "distribution" requirements.

Cheers,
Terry