cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Slick DRM-Dave

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Terry Hancock <hancock AT anansispaceworks.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Slick DRM-Dave
  • Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 23:18:14 -0600

drew Roberts wrote:
> Say it ain't so...
>
> Slick DRM-Dave decides not to distribute CC files at all. He gives away a
> clocked down program for a non-free OS. Joe User can sign up with Slick
> DRM-Dave and give his credit card info. He can then use the app supplied by
> Dave to load CC works(and other non-DRM works) onto Dave's platform locally.
>
> Each time a file gets loaded on, the app phones home to Dave and indicates
> an
> upload. Ath the end of the month, Dave bills Joe User a buck for each
> non-DRM
> file put on the device.

Yes, that's possible. It's egregiously non-free of the platform, of course.

> Bam sookie - same thing as a platform monopoly. And now I can't even be
> happy
> with locally applied DRM. Yes? No? problems with my analysis?

I disagree that it's the same thing. It's very clearly a tax on applying
DRM to put material on the platform.

As stated, it doesn't control what you put on your platform, though. In
principle, though, one could imagine an application that will only apply
the DRM if the file hash matches an entry in a database on Dave's site.

These circumstances, I concede to be inevitable. There's always some
scam out there. But this at least makes it very clear that Dave is the
"bad guy".

Cheers,
Terry