cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Slick DRM-Dave

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Slick DRM-Dave
  • Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 08:09:58 -0500

On Tuesday 05 December 2006 12:18 am, Terry Hancock wrote:
> drew Roberts wrote:
> > Say it ain't so...
> >
> > Slick DRM-Dave decides not to distribute CC files at all. He gives away a
> > clocked down program for a non-free OS. Joe User can sign up with Slick
> > DRM-Dave and give his credit card info. He can then use the app supplied
> > by Dave to load CC works(and other non-DRM works) onto Dave's platform
> > locally.
> >
> > Each time a file gets loaded on, the app phones home to Dave and
> > indicates an upload. Ath the end of the month, Dave bills Joe User a buck
> > for each non-DRM file put on the device.
>
> Yes, that's possible. It's egregiously non-free of the platform, of course.
>
> > Bam sookie - same thing as a platform monopoly. And now I can't even be
> > happy with locally applied DRM. Yes? No? problems with my analysis?
>
> I disagree that it's the same thing. It's very clearly a tax on applying
> DRM to put material on the platform.
>
> As stated, it doesn't control what you put on your platform, though. In
> principle, though, one could imagine an application that will only apply
> the DRM if the file hash matches an entry in a database on Dave's site.
>
> These circumstances, I concede to be inevitable. There's always some
> scam out there. But this at least makes it very clear that Dave is the
> "bad guy".

This could be stopped by not allowing even local application of DRM to the
files. Yes? No?

There may always be some scam out there, but lots of them are not legal and
can be fought.

If I can find the time, I am going to try and write up a little app that is a
proof of concept for this. Perhaps we should seek a patent on this and that
is how we can prevent someone from doing it? (Oops - too late.)

Perhaps you are right.

> Cheers,
> Terry

(da idea man)