cc-licenses - [cc-licenses] parallel distribution, closed technologies and freedom

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Alek Tarkowski <alek.tarkowski AT creativecommons.pl>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [cc-licenses] parallel distribution, closed technologies and freedom
  • Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 11:56:05 +0100

Dear Benjamin,

I don't think it makes sense to ask people for comments on your wiki if you don't plan to respond to them and prefer to talk on the mailing list. So I'm reposting my comment here:

I have a rather "theoretical" comment regarding your position paper. You write:

"PlayStations <http://wiki.mako.cc/PlayStations>, like cell phones and many other consumer technologies, are inherently and intentionally [...] less empowering than other technologies. It is silly to consider banning the distribution of CC-licensed works to devices that are unable to take full advantage of the freedoms to modify and redistribute under CC licenses"

I find this confusing in light of your freedom-based critique of some of the CC licenses. It seems that while you are against legal limitations to user freedom, you support technical limitiations to user freedom. Shouldn't a freedom-based position be critical also of technologies that make content un-free? We can hypothetically imagine a legal document, heck even a moral principle that is against the use of technologies such as cell phones when a fully empowering technology like the internet exists? - the way you find use of licenses with the ND argument, for instance, unsatisfactory since pure BY / BY-SA licenses exist...

best,

Alek Tarkowski

--
koordynator / Public Lead
Creative Commons Polska / Poland

(+48) 889 660 444
http://creativecommons.pl
skype:alektarkowski

begin:vcard
fn:Alek Tarkowski
n:Tarkowski;Alek
org:Creative Commons Polska
email;internet:alek.tarkowski AT creativecommons.pl
tel;cell:+48 889 660 444
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://creativecommons.pl
version:2.1