cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] For hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] For hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee
  • Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2006 18:59:52 -0500

On Sunday 03 December 2006 06:02 pm, Greg London wrote:
> This is specifically directed to all of you who keep
> bringing up the explanation that my reason for supporting
> Anti-TPM is because I want to turn CC into a "weapon".

See, that might be me. Although I don't think it is my reason for wanting it,
but I think with me it does enter into the picture somewhat. Even then, only
if you consider a shield a weapon.

I think the best I can give as a reason, and I could just be suffering from
thread fatigue here, is that I don't want to allow someone a monopoly
position over me with my own works.

You can use and sell my works, I can use and sell yours if you have any. If
you can out market me and so make more money on my works than I do, so be it.
But don't go try and make it illegal for me to be in the market.

Long term, I see that there are players in this world who would be quite
happy
to mandate DRM only players and computers. Who would be happy to have me
where the only way to enjoy my own works would be to pay them for the
ability. Further, I see these players as being quite happy and eager to move
to a pay per view future. And I will have to pay them a fee every time I want
to use one of my own works. No thanks.

I would like the licenses I use for my works to try and shield me from that.
Now, the few works I can create and put under such a license will not likely
help me at all. But let a few million people put their works under such a
license and perhaps it can make a difference. This is why I say a shield.

That said, for whatever reason I don't want to enable it (DRM only for the
blessed), I see no good reasons given why I should enable it. Whatever DRM
clause that is proposed that doesn't allow that, is open to consideration on
my part.

Greg, how is it you missed my proposal all this time?

(da idea man)
National Novel Writing Month
Sayings (Winner 2006)
http://www.ourmedia.org/node/262954