cc-licenses - [cc-licenses] For hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • Cc: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [cc-licenses] For hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee
  • Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2006 18:02:32 -0500 (EST)

Get your attention?

This is specifically directed to all of you who keep
bringing up the explanation that my reason for supporting
Anti-TPM is because I want to turn CC into a "weapon".

The subject heading will be explained shortly.

my original response was posted here:

https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/cc-licenses/2006-December/004635.html

I've reorganized it a bit below:

==============
anti-tpm:
==============

prevents Alice/Bob from listening to CC-SA songs
on DRM-Dave's DRM-only hardware platform,
even if Dave were to want to do it.

Punishment to Alice/Bob: minus 10

Prohibits DRM-Dave from monopolizing the entire CC-SA
works on his hardware. CC-SA works can only be distributed
to non-monopolistic hardware. This means that the
community will not see their creations used by Alice and Bob
on Dave's DRM-only platform, but they will still see their
works used on any platform that can use non-DRM content.

Damage to community: minus 10

========================
parallel distribution:
========================

allows Alice/Bob to listen to CC-SA songs on
DRM-Dave's DRM-only hardware platform if DRM-Dave
will apply DRM to the CC-SA content.

bonus to Alice/Bob: Plus 10

allows DRM Dave to monopolize the entire CC-SA works.
Entire FLOSS community might see their works on
Dave's hardware with Dave using DRM and DMCA to
charge money to get a copy that plays on his DRM-only
player. But no one in the FLOSS community who created
any of those works will be able to sell their own
versions of DRM-enabled works that play on Dave's hardware.

Damage to community: minus 10 times size of community.
Say, negative several hundred.

Now, one can argue whether the numbers are correct
or not. But the reason I support anti-TPM is because
if the numbers are correct, it is the best choice
when you consider not only Alice and Bob who want
to play content on their DRM-only player, but you
also consider the entire CC-SA community, many of
whom will not have DRM-only players.

The point is to pick the solution best for CC and
the community, irregardless of what it does to
DRM Dave's of the world.

This is wholly different from wanting to
"turn CC into a weapon against DRM",
to pick whichever solution inflicts the
most damage on DRM-Dave, irregardless of
how much damage it might also inflict on
the CC community.

Picking the choice that's best for CC and the
community it supports is one thing.

Picking the option that inflicts the most
damage on DRM-Dave, even if it kills myself
and my friends is to be a suicidal Captain Ahab,
willing to destroy himself, his ship, and his
crew, all to hunt down the white whale.

So, to the next person who says I wish to
turn my chest into a mortar and burst my own
hot heart's shell upon DRM Dave,

to the next person who says I'm willing to
sink CC and the community that supports it
simply to cause harm to DRM Dave,

get stuffed.

Greg London