cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Parallel Distribution Statement

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: James Grimmelmann <james AT grimmelmann.net>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Parallel Distribution Statement
  • Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 19:05:27 -0500

drew Roberts wrote:
Having just BY-SA is better than having BY-SA-Monday, BY-SA-Tuesday,
Son-of-BY-SA, Soylent-BY-SA, and many other incompatible flavors of
BY-SA (even if most of them are comparably free). So, while I agree
with you that compatibility can hurt freedom under some circumstances,
unnecessary incompatibility generally hurts freedom.

I would not argue about that since I agree with you there., but by the same token, if an artist or author dislikes the results of plain paralled distribution enough to craft a custome license, that is liable to be worse still.

I definitely agree with you on this. It's unfortunate every time that unpalatable license choices cause dissatisfied authors who want to encourage free redistribution to opt out of the Creative Commons ecosystem entirely.

James