cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Parallel Distribution Statement

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Benj. Mako Hill" <mako AT atdot.cc>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Parallel Distribution Statement
  • Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 19:11:24 -0500

<quote who="drew Roberts" date="Mon, Nov 27, 2006 at 07:05:28PM -0500">
> On Monday 27 November 2006 06:35 pm, James Grimmelmann wrote:
> If so, could anti-DRM be another "module" alongside BY,SA,NC,ND?

In an ideal world, that might make sense. However, the small number of
participants in this dicussion to date implies to me that this is either
too complex or completely irrelevant or unimportant to most users.

CC has worked hard to reduce the number of licenses to simply things,
make it easier to choose, and to encourage compatibility between CC
licensed works. These are each as important as particular way that the
anti-DRM clausee works.

> Does CC have to pick one strategy?

Unfotunately, I think so.

Regards,
Mako

--
Benjamin Mako Hill
mako AT atdot.cc

Creativity can be a social contribution, but only in so
far as society is free to use the results. --RMS