cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Yet more on NC (was: Re: New Generic and ports)

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Yet more on NC (was: Re: New Generic and ports)
  • Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 06:56:33 -0400

On Tuesday 10 October 2006 10:33 pm, Jonathon Blake wrote:
> Drew wrote:
> > Not in the US at least. I had heard that it was in England. Does anyone
> > know of the status for their country?
>
> I've forgotten the name of the position, but there is an individual
> whose sole job function is track copyright and royalty payments on the
> KJV throughout the British Commonwealth.
> They work for Oxford University Press, which has a royal charter to
> publish the KJV.
>
> > As a practical matter, the crown does what with its copyright on this
> > version?
>
> Royalty payments. I don't know how much they earn, but if it is at
> all like the US publishers, it can be a significant amount.

And if that is the case, woulldn't these groups be better off adding 10 to 50
percent to their royalty amount for a few years and funding a copyleft
translation and then being done with these payments?

And isn't it just peachy that the church->state hookup in England has cooked
up an unending copyright monopoly on a work based on something that was
surely "in the public domain."

> > What ways do they seek royalties from it?
>
> This is what publishers in the US collect royalty payments for.
> * Electronic Distribution;
> * Reading at Services
> * Usage in a Bible Study group.
> * Quoted in course outlines, lesson notes, etc;

Does anyone know what ways royalties are sought on the use of the KJV?

> > So, for instance with hymns, BY-SA would get them out of this pickle
> > while BY-NC will not. I am not sure about these multi-media presentations
> > you speak
>
> BY-SA would work --- assuming that one can convince everybody from the
> RIAA down to the local county judge that that licence does not require
> royalty payments to be made.

Would it be the RIAA or these people:

http://www.ccli.com/

or someone else like them? Perhaps not though, they seem more concerned with
making copies of the music rather than actual singing.

A quick trip to Google brought me to this link:

http://web.mit.edu/mitkcf/www/help/ccli.shtml

Which has this to say:

copyright laws do not say anything about us actually singing/using songs,
only
about the printed/projected words and musical recordings. Anyone can sing any
worship song if they know it by heart. CCLI holding organizations like us can
distribute paper or project overheads to assist congregations in singing
songs they don't have memorized.

I don't know if that is correct as outside of the religious area that
might/would be considered a public performance, but that is what I had heard
before and was referring to.

> Calling religious organizations "commercial enterprises" in the CC
> Guidelines eliminates NC material for those churches. [Wondering how
> many religious organizations that use the NC licence realize that.]

Well, they should at least read the license they are putting works under. It
would be better if they understood it as well, but even I am guilty of not
getting key parts of what I have read and that is one reason I spend so much
time on these lists trying to learn.

> > > organization from the RIAA down to your local superior court judge.) ]
> >
> > Yes. BY, BY-SA, perhaps BY-ND, I don't think BY-NC though. Plus, at least
> > in the US, I think there is a distinction made between "worship services"
> > and
>
> Not for royalty payments. :(

See above. Are you sure? Can you provide links (preferably) or other