cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] New Generic and ports

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Andres Guadamuz <a.guadamuz AT ed.ac.uk>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] New Generic and ports
  • Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2006 23:30:51 +0100

drew Roberts wrote:

While I can understand this, can someone talk to the issue of a long train of derivative works with the various generations being released under different county specific versions of the "same" license?

Peter has answered this really well, but let me add that I believe long chains of derivatives as those that can be found in software are less common in creative works. Firstly, we must consider that there are a lot of No Derivatives licensed material out there. Secondly, in my short and limited experience looking at CC content and licences, I haven't encountered a lot of actual inter-jurisdiction licence incompatibility in existing licences. There have to be local differences, but these can actually help in local interpretation even if the user is employing a generic licence. It is my opinion that in many countries courts can look at the local version of the licence even if the user is using a generic version. It may shock some people to learn that not all judges in the world speak English.

Andres

--
Andres Guadamuz
AHRC Research Centre for Studies in