cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] New Generic and ports

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Terry Hancock <hancock AT anansispaceworks.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] New Generic and ports
  • Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2006 14:17:49 -0500

drew Roberts wrote:
OK, here is the below part I mentioned above. So, I make a BY-SA work
and release it. (I am actually in the Bahamas, but for the sake of
this, let's pretend I am in the US.) Someone makes a big time
adaptation of it. That someone is a German living in Germany.

Now, let's put these two things together. There is some sort of
dispute. According to the first part, the German court (would it end
up in the German court?) would use the german version of the contract
and according to the second part they would base their interpretation
of the contract on the will of the licensor. (Are you sure you don't
mean on the understanding of what the licensor thought he was doing?)
That would be me who doesn't understand a word of German (well,
perhaps a few words) and who doesn't know anything about German law.

That would be you, who allowed derivatives of your work to be distributed under the German version of the By-SA license (i.e. you've agreed to this in the English version of the By-SA). Of course, we know that you are trusting CC to have made the two licenses equivalent.

Cheers,
Terry