cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Version 3.0 - Public Discussion

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Version 3.0 - Public Discussion
  • Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 22:39:12 -0400 (EDT)

> On Sun, 2006-13-08 at 20:18 +0200, Karl Ebener wrote:
>> I don't think, Charlie has a problem in the first scenario : He can
>> still take the work and transfer it to his iSuck-format himself and
>> hear it on his iSuck-Player.
>
> Ah, but the iSuck player's SuckIt! (TM) DRM system only plays works that
> are digitally signed by a distributor who is explicitly authorized by
> the iSuck Corporation (as shown by the iSuck Corp signature on said
> distributor's encryption key). Authorization costs US$250,000.
>
> Bob is an authorized distributor; his library paid the distributor fee
> so that they could share Free Culture works with the iSuck-owning
> public.

If circumvention is authorized into the license for that work
and all derivatives of that work, then that solves the
quarter million dollar cost to get authorization.
It becomes automatic. I still haven't heard a respons as to
whether you think this meets Debian's requirements.

In the above case, if Bob distributes teh song, teh authorization
in the license guarantees that he doesn't maintain a monopoly
for that song on the iPod.

Greg

--
Wikipedia and the Great Sneetches War