cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Creative Commons licenses cause a problem

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Terry Hancock <hancock AT anansispaceworks.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Creative Commons licenses cause a problem
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2006 04:10:27 +0000

Jonathon Blake wrote:
Nancy wrote:
>> Since you indicate that you can't use "ARR" works under fair use
>> then I would expect you also not to be able to use most CC works
>> under fair use as well, but only under licensed use.

> This is really unclear, and any help you could give is welcome.

In plain English:

1: Standard "All Rights Reserved" Contact the creator, and
negotiate with them to use the material.

2: Creative Commons "Non Commercial" Contact the creator, and
negotiate with them to use the material.

3: Creative Commons "No Derivatives" Contact the creator, and
negotiate with them to use the material.

4: Creative Commons "Share Alike" Use the material, _and_ acknowledge
the source in the "credits" section.

Whoops, he meant "Attribution" only (CC-By).

For "Attribution-Sharealike" you must:
Use the material, acknowledge the source, and permit redistribution of
the original with your changes (i.e. your 'annotations').

This won't affect anything else on the disk, so you can still use your
usage agreement, as long as you acknowledge this exception (SA works
maybe copied from the disk, including your annotations).

Personally, I think this is your best bet.

5: Creative Commons "Public Domain" Use the material. Attribution is
a courtesy. [The Odds are that you will not find any material
created since the DCMA that is legally "public domain".]

Actually, there is no 'Creative Commons "Public Domain"', it's just
"Public Domain", and you can do whatever you want with it.

Bear in mind that none of this affects the generated statistics -- you
can use whatever material for that you want, and do whatever you
like with the results. Statistics are "data" and are not copyrightable,
at least not in the US.

Cheers,
Terry