cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] What freedom is?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Jamie Jensen <yarvin AT gmail.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] What freedom is?
  • Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 02:38:25 -0600

> This discussion in fact is about "what freedom is for me". Is it freedom
> of an author, or rather a user of creative work? Or maybe - a freedom of
> culture? If it's authors freedom we should go for as many multiple
> licenses as possible. If it's users freedom we should go for one
> standard BSD-like license. If it's free ciulture, we should scrap all
> licenses except two SA licenses (with NC-SA left only for tactical reasons).

I think you've assumed that you have to choose only between those
three, and only one of them. That's like saying that true individual
freedom means no police or laws. Some see it that way (and that's
fine), but I think that thinking like that is too limiting.

I think the copyright system has become dishonest. If a person went
into an agreement knowing what he or she was agreeing to and still
agreed, then in most cases I'm fine saying he or she should have to
obey the terms. Licenses aren't contracts, and they don't generate
the same "need to obey" response that contracts do in most people. If
you're to expect compliance to a license at all, the terms need to
allow a baseline of the things most people will want to do with the
work: noncommercial verbatim copying and personal modification (at
least).

--
J. Jensen