cc-licenses - [cc-licenses] Shorter Term License

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Rhett Creighton" <rhett AT creighton.com>
  • To: <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [cc-licenses] Shorter Term License
  • Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 00:47:17 -0500

I am interested in a license that allows the copyright owner to decrease term of a copyright, while maintaining full copyright otherwise.  For example, someone may decide that he doesn’t need life+75 years and is happy with life+50 years.  Such a license would allow him to donate 25 years copyright ownership (plus any future extensions) to the public.  I believe that in addition to practical use, such a license will help raise awareness of the copyright extension problem.