cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Shorter Term License

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Rhett Creighton" <rhett AT creighton.com>
  • To: "'Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts'" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Shorter Term License
  • Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 12:20:49 -0500

The advantage of a slightly shorter term license is that it's easy to
convince a copyright holder to use it. Many copyright holders want to be
protected for life, and they want their family to be taken care of. It is
clear that life+75 goes beyond that to really only protect big businesses.
I know a lot of people that would adopt such a license.

(FC) is too short to offer people the protection that they want.