cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] CC-BY of Wiki-Content - must I name ALL authors?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Evan Prodromou <evan AT bad.dynu.ca>
  • To: LinuxLala <linuxlala AT gmail.com>, Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] CC-BY of Wiki-Content - must I name ALL authors?
  • Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 22:29:30 -0400

On Sat, 2005-08-10 at 01:19 +0530, LinuxLala wrote:
But suppose that an article from a wiki has to be printed into a newspaper. Is it possible to get away with providing a link to the "page_changelog" for a list of contributors to that article? Or is it a must to include the contributors' names along with the article.
Assuming you haven't employed the "designated attribution" option, yes, you have to include contributors' names along with the article.

Anyways, why "get away with"? Why would that be a positive thing? I'm not sure exactly what this list is about, but figuring out loopholes in the licenses so you don't have to follow the stated or implicit requests of the copyright holders seems pretty outside the scope.
One more question while we are discussing wiki license -- Suppose there is a wiki licensed as CC-BY-NC. In this case, no newspaper/magazine can publish it 'coz they are not free, even though they are not making any extra money from the wiki article itself. So I am confused. What does NC have to say in this regard?
It says that they can't publish it. If you want commercial organisations to use your work -- or non-commercial organisations or individuals to use your work in ways that require the exchange of money, don't use the NonCommercial clause.

If your point is that the NonCommercial licenses are short-sighted and self-defeating, well... duh.

~Evan