cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] CC-BY of Wiki-Content - must I name ALL authors?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Erik Moeller <erik_moeller AT gmx.de>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] CC-BY of Wiki-Content - must I name ALL authors?
  • Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 17:57:49 +0200

Evan Prodromou:
I now want to publish one wiki article in a newspaper. Do I have to name ALL
contributors, even if the article has been changed by dozens of users?

Yes, unless you've gotten the contributors to let you use the name of
the wiki (or some other name) instead of their own. This is only an
option with the 2.5 licenses; see the attribution section of the legal
text.

Actually, CC-BY only requires that the "Original Author" is attributed:

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.5/legalcode

-quote-
"Original Author" means the individual or entity who created the Work.

You must keep intact all copyright notices for the Work and provide, reasonable to the medium or means You are utilizing: (i) the name of the Original Author (or pseudonym, if applicable) if supplied,
-quote-

It may be a judgment call in some cases who the "original author" is, but there is clearly no need to attribute multiple individuals.

Best,

Erik