cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] How to use 2.5 licenses.

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Rob Myers <rob AT robmyers.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] How to use 2.5 licenses.
  • Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 23:08:20 +0100

drew Roberts wrote:

Here is the heart of my question. I hope I explain it better this time.

8.e. This License constitutes the entire agreement between the parties with respect to the Work licensed here.

Is the quote a further agreement between the parties?

No, it is just the information you need to properly use the license. Like the licensor's name.

What agreements can we make outside of the license and between whom, which are not negated by 8.e?

You can negotiate whatever arrangements you like with the original copyright holder as long as it isn't exclusive (the CC license preculdes that). But this is outside the license altogether.

You cannot add conditions to the CC license. I had to explain this to someone today at a conference. You can activate the attribution varying clauses in the license (for example waiving attribution or requiring organisational attribution), but this is use of the license as it stands, not an extra agreement.

- Rob.