cc-licenses - Re: Share-revenues as an alternative to Non-commercial

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Share-revenues as an alternative to Non-commercial
  • Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 14:37:26 -0700

David Christie wrote:
I've been lurking on this list for a while and reading the archives. This is my first post. I'm primarily interested in innovative open-source software licenses.

The license you describe wouldn't qualify as open source.

That said, if you're primarily interested in software licenses you might post your idea to http://creativecommons.org/discuss#commonwealth. The researcher running that list is interested in such licensing ideas.

Another approach some are interested in exploring is to use a restrictive CC license (e.g. with NC and/or ND properties) and build standard terms and metadata to faciliate buying out the rights reserved. These discussions have been sporadic and tentative, but see http://sampleright.org and discussion at http://www.musicloversunion.org for two examples.

Magnatune has implemented a system for purchasing rights reserved to its releases, see for example https://magnatune.com/artists/license/?artist=Kyiv+Chamber+Choir&album=Masterpieces+of+the+Ukrainian+Choral+Baroque&genre=Baroque

NB it isn't clear how any of the above fits into CC proper. I'm interested in metadata interoperability at the very least and commercial adoption of CC licenses and technologies in general, but I imagine some of this can/would/will be legally and politically complex.

--
Mike Linksvayer
http://creativecommons.org/about/people#21