cc-licenses - Re: Use cases for NonCommercial license clause

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Wyl Newland <wylnewland AT gmail.com>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Use cases for NonCommercial license clause
  • Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 14:47:19 -0500

Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts
On 4/19/05, Evan Prodromou <evan AT bad.dynu.ca> wrote:
> * A publishing company downloads a by-nc 2.0 book from the
> Internet, makes a print run of 100,000 copies, and sells it in
> bookstores across the country. [no]

Thank you for your most excellent post. I have long wanted to ask my
question in some manner appropriate and unlikely to offend. Let me
try to ask it as best I can. If you already have my exact need
available in a sa-ncc (share-alike, nc-conditional) or sa-mc (maybe
conditional) license, please accept my humble apologies and direct me
as best you can.

I have two goals I want to attain.

1. I want to permit printing into books subject to certain royalty conditions
2. I want all downstream editors of my works to be bound to the same
conditions

In my copyright notice block I want to say something like "Copyright
... share-alike, non-commercial except for <conditions>."

Once I can be assured that <conditions> will persist for a long, long
time, I would prefer that <conditions> be something like
"http://www.something.org/ncc/my_conditions";.

Until I can attain a permanent home for my conditions, I will simply
enumerate them in plain text. My personal preferred <condition> says
something to the effect: "a 7% royalty of cover sales price be divided
according to the will of the publisher and paid upon the completion of
printing and prior to any sale, among the following entities and no
others: <list-of-entities>".

I could well imagine Creative Commons hosting a URL with the above
c+royalty text intact, thereby enabling each author to complete their
list of beneficiaries. Now, please permit me to introduce my
"mischief", from my political agenda, picking up the above text
"...among the following entities and no others: Free Software
Foundation, Rotary Club, public media, or <list-of-entities>".

Other that changing "...bookstores across the country. [no]" into
"...bookstores across the country. [yes]", I believe most other [no]
can remain [no]. Excepting of course that if my work is a movie, then
"...bookstore..." becomes "...movie_outlets...", etc. Perhaps your
original wording can be suitably generalized in this or a similar
manner:

"A publishing or distribution company downloads a by-nc-royalty 2.0
book from the Internet, produces 100,000 copies, and sells it
commercially in stores across the country. [conditional-yes]"

I hope that you now understand my need and can offer criticism and
advice. Thank you for your good work.