cc-licenses - Re: Use cases for NonCommercial license clause

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Use cases for NonCommercial license clause
  • Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 23:55:29 -0400 (EDT)

So, I'm having a bit of a hard time here.
It would seem the "license" list is the place
to go to get a new license created.
Which means that some people came to CC and
asked for a "noncommercial" license, and
at some point, the meaning of that term
got spelled out. Not like it was legal advice,
but like "this is what it will mean".

Or maybe "noncommercial" was one of the
"precooked" licenses that CC offered
out of the chute, without any user concensus.
I'm not sure.

The thing that is really ticking me off is
that the entire time that users have been
advising other users that "commercial"
meant anytime money changes hands
(profit or nonprofit), that no one from
CC ever stepped in and said "No, that isn't
really it".

So, I'm left with did CC know we were misreading
it all this time and said nothing?
Or was CC inline with what we were saying
but now they've decided to change what it means?