cc-licenses - [Fwd: RE: Attribution Non-commercial Share Alike - question]

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Fwd: RE: Attribution Non-commercial Share Alike - question]
  • Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 22:48:27 -0400 (EDT)

Yes. if you used CC-BY-NC-SA and had 100 authors
daisy chain one derivative to the next until
you ended up with some great-great-great-grandchild
derivative of the work, you would have to attribute
all 100 authors, and you would need the permission
of all 100 authors to use that work commercially.

because of this, NC-SA is a good way to guarantee
that the resulting work of a large community
will never be used commercially, can never be used
commercially, because you'll need to track every
author who contributed to the project and get their
permission to alter the license under which they
contributed to the project.

I actually think this is a bad outcome.
NC-SA seems to be a good license for a "fan club"
and that's about it. But that's my personal opinion.

I do not work for or speak for Creative Commons.

Greg

Bounty Hunters: Metaphors for Fair IP Law.
http://www.greglondon.com/bountyhunters/

Improbulus said:

> Thanks for your quick and helpful answer Greg.
>
> What about permission for commercial use, would the permission of every
author in between, all the way back to the original, be needed too?

attribution to a central project rather than listing every individual.

--
Bounty Hunters, Metaphors for Fair IP Law.
http://www.greglondon.com/bountyhunters/

Hungry for a good read? Crave science fiction?
Get a taste of "Hunger Pangs" by Greg London.
http://www.greglondon.com/hunger/

  • [Fwd: RE: Attribution Non-commercial Share Alike - question], Greg London, 04/20/2005