cc-licenses - Re: CC licenses and "moral rights"

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Robin Millette <millette AT waglo.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: CC licenses and "moral rights"
  • Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 07:19:36 -0500

drew Roberts wrote:
On Thursday 24 March 2005 06:51 am, Peter Brink wrote:

For those ignorant on moral rights issues, in countries where they apply, are they generally created by the copyright laws or by independant moral rights laws or some ohter way?

In Canada, moral rights are part of the copyright law:
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/fr/C-42/35168.html#article-14.1

A possible source of the confusion which seems to be the reason for this
thread is that Open Source and Open Content licenses (as such) are
governed by contractual law and international private law while the

This is a statement which I believe from my reading, big boys in the Free Software world would disagree with and I am not talking about the "Open Source" issue.

I would have to disagree as well. Software is covered by copyright in most jurisdictions (which is a little odd when you think about it, since copyright doesn't otherwise apply for functionnal creations, but I disgress). And the Free Software / Open Source licences are all designed to plug into copyright and allow greater rights then are permitted by default.

--
Robin Millette, aka oqp http://rym.waglo.com/wordpress/
http://www.cogitateurs-agitateurs.org/ - Cogitateurs Agitateurs