cc-licenses - Re: Rationale for CC's GFDL recommendation

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Daniel Carrera <dcarrera AT math.umd.edu>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Rationale for CC's GFDL recommendation
  • Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 10:33:48 -0500

Greg London wrote:

> I can only hope that common sense hasn't completely left the legal
> system such that this interpretation is possible.

1) There is very little common sense left in the legal system.

2) Whether you and I agree that the restriction is real is not releant for
this context. The topic at hand is what Debian thinks. :-)

> I cannot see this being a legitimate problem in any real world
> situation.

Take it up with Debian legal :-) I'm just a messenger.

> Declaring FDL non-free because of a license OPTION is
> losing focus of the big picture.

I disagree. Let's go over what we mean by "license XYZ is a free license".
There are two things we could mean:

1) A work under license XYZ *might* be free to use and modify.
2) A work under license XYZ *is* free to use and modify.

Debian has chosen the first definition. And I think the choice is
sensible. It is safer, and it is the one that most people will expect
automatically. That is, if you see a work that says "licensed under XYZ
which is a free license" you should be able to conclude that you are free
to use and modify the work.

> > I don't think so. Debian legal doesn't have a problem with attribution.
> > And the copyright notice provides attribution *anyways*.
>
> CC-Attribution is something above and beyond a copyright notice.

Please don't focus on that second line. It was meant as a sidenote. Debian
legal told me that attribution per se is not the problem. Please see my
other email.

Daniel Carrera | I don't want it perfect,
Join OOoAuthors today! | I want it Tuesday.
http://oooauthors.org |