cc-licenses - Re: What happens to the GPL in FPGA & VLSI implementations?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: What happens to the GPL in FPGA & VLSI implementations?
  • Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 10:16:43 -0500 (EST)

drew Roberts said:
> Not that I disagree with the analysis or the intention behind it... but...
> binaries are a functional strin of 1s and 0s and yet aren't they considered
> copyrighted derivative of the copyrighted source they came from.
>
> Is this just another special exception to the rules?

No, because the string of 1's and 0's still REPRESENT something
rather than being the THING-ITSELF.

A computer then reads the 1's and 0's and then does something
based on how it interprets those numbers. But the 1's and 0's
are still a representation, not the thing itself.

10101010010101010 -> clear register A
01010010100101001 -> increment register A
01001010101010100 -> jump to address 10100

That the representation is machine-readable does not change
the fact that it is still something that you or a machine
READS and then INTERPRETS whatever it REPRESENTS.