cc-licenses - Re: film-screening with a film using a cc-licensed-noncommercial music

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Branko Collin" <collin AT xs4all.nl>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: film-screening with a film using a cc-licensed-noncommercial music
  • Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 00:02:07 +0100

On 9 Mar 2005, at 11:31, Greg London wrote:

> In fact, I think one of the CreativeCommons cartoons specifically
> describes the scenario where Alice licenses her work CC-NC, fans
> copy/distrubute/derive the work non-commercially. Some one stumbles
> across it and wants to use it commercially and so they contact Alice
> and pay her for the right to use the work commercially. And they all
> live happily ever after.
>
> That is the point of CC-NC. Some author doesn't have the
> advertising, sales, and distribution channel of the big guys,
> so they leverage some of their rights in hope of getting noticed. WIth
> the point being that if they do get noticed, they get paid.

See <http://www.boingboing.net/2005/03/09/creative_commons_exp.html>
for a story about a record company that distributes its music using
some form of CC-NC. If you want to use the music commercially, you go
to their website and click a few buttons to get another license.

--
branko collin
collin AT xs4all.nl