cc-licenses - Re: film-screening with a film using a cc-licensed-noncommercial music

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Evan Prodromou <evan AT bad.dynu.ca>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: Stefan Schulz <mail AT stefanschulz.info>
  • Subject: Re: film-screening with a film using a cc-licensed-noncommercial music
  • Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 08:22:26 -0500

On Wed, 2005-09-03 at 02:08 +0100, Stefan Schulz wrote:
But: When I submit it to a screening for a festival or something like
that, I'm sure, the people there will take a charge for entrance, in
this case, is my use of the work legal? (I guess, it is...)
I'm neither a lawyer nor a representative of Creative Commons, but as far as I know, charging people for a public display is distributing the work for commercial advantage, and thus not allowed by the NC license.

Another case where the NC license is stupid and short-sighted. Strangely, after 2 years of confused questions like this, the creativecommons.org site still burbles about NC like it's the cure for cancer.
And when the festival makers will charge me with a small amount of
money for showing this film there? (I guess, it is not than...)
I'm pretty sure not in this case, either.
I hope, someone could answer this question. :)
It's a really, really complicated and non-intuitive thing. I suggest that you either a) seek some music that is licensed under a free license like Attribution or Attribution-ShareAlike, or b) contact the upstream author to work out a separate license. At the very least, let them know that their NC license kept their work out of a film festival.
Greetings from germany,
Greetz from Quebec,

~Evan

--