cc-licenses - Re: License Options for CD-based content

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Serge Wroclawski <serge AT tux.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: License Options for CD-based content
  • Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 20:32:06 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 Sigmascape1 AT cs.com wrote:

> They want to sell CDs with various forms of content on them, such as
> images, flash animations, etc. They will be charging for this content
> CDs. The content needs to be licensed, and I wanted to see if you guys
> could suggest a possible CC license.

I've only been on the list a short time, but let me say something about
this, and flames are welcome.

Your friends are making money off other people's work or making their own?

If its thier own, then I might suggest a license which allows for
non-commercial redistribution. They can then be assured that any money
that's made off the content can be negotiated with them.

If they're using other people's works, then that is something you'll need
to work out with each artist (and this becomes a lot more complicated,
especially if some of the works did not allow commerical distribution in
the first place).

> One of the main issues they will have is that they don't want the
> content (or entire CD) copied verbatim and distributed by anyone.

> Would a sampling license make sense? Is something that is covered
> under one of the 3 sampling lciesnes normally be a commercial,
> 'non-free' product? Or should I suggest maybe coming up with their own
> license?

Why do they care about non-commercial redistribution?

If they really do, then indeed, maybe CC isn't right for them.

- Serge Wroclawski