cc-licenses - Re: General-purpose blogs with occasional specialty posts

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: General-purpose blogs with occasional specialty posts
  • Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 09:54:23 -0500 (EST)

Garrett Fitzgerald said:
> I like the idea of putting my content under attribution-noncommercial.
> However, I'm a slightly-well-known Visual FoxPro developer, and occasionally
> I post sample code to my blog. Now, if I leave this attrib-noncommercial,
> people might be discouraged from using my code samples.
>
> Basically, I'd like to be able to say "Don't pass this off as your own
> sample to other people, and don't try to charge other people for using it.
> However, if you like the ideas in it, go ahead and use them, and don't worry
> about it. If you want to leave a comment in the code that I wrote it, that's
> good. If not, oh well."
>
> Do you see this sort of statement being covered by CC?

I don't see a problem with a blanket
"This blog is CC-BY-NC"
and then when you post code samples,
include a dual license statement such as
"This code sample is CC-PublicDomain"

As long as the code sample has a less restrictive license
than the blog, it makes sense to me.

If you want your code samples licensed more restrictive
than the blog's CC-BY-NC, then you'd have to do something
different.

a copyleft license is more restrictive than CC-BY-NC,
especially one that requires source code to be included
with any distribution.

The BSD with no advertising clause license is less restrictive
than CC-BY-NC.

So, it depends on what license you were going to use for your code.

Greg

--
Hungry for a good read? Crave science fiction?
Get a taste of "Hunger Pangs" by Greg London.