cc-licenses - Re: General-purpose blogs with occasional specialty posts

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Daniel Carrera <dcarrera AT math.umd.edu>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: General-purpose blogs with occasional specialty posts
  • Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 00:08:40 -0500

Garrett Fitzgerald wrote:
> I like the idea of putting my content under attribution-noncommercial.
> However, I'm a slightly-well-known Visual FoxPro developer, and occasionally
> I post sample code to my blog. Now, if I leave this attrib-noncommercial,
> people might be discouraged from using my code samples.

IMHO source code should be under an open source license. CC licenses were
not made with source code as their primary focus (partly because, I presume,
there is already a wealth of FOSS licenses). Consider the list here:

http://opensource.org/licenses/

> Basically, I'd like to be able to say "Don't pass this off as your own
> sample to other people, and don't try to charge other people for using it.
> However, if you like the ideas in it, go ahead and use them, and don't worry
> about it. If you want to leave a comment in the code that I wrote it, that's
> good. If not, oh well."

What you are suggesting might be difficult to implement in a license.
Regardless of type.

Read through the list of open source licenses and see if you find one you
like.

Daniel Carrera | No trees were harmed in the generation of
Join OOoAuthors today! | this email. A significant number of electrons
http://www.oooauthors.org | were, however, severely inconvenienced.