cc-licenses - Re: CC license & commercial works.

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Daniel Carrera <dcarrera AT math.umd.edu>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: CC license & commercial works.
  • Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 09:10:16 -0500

Rob Myers wrote:

> >We are looking at how to modify this to include the CC. One idea is to
> >say "if you buy this book I'll give it to you under this CC license".
>
> One problem is that once you give someone the work under a CC license,
> it's "out of the bottle". That is, they can give it to as many people
> as they like under the terms of the CC license.

That's not really a problem. This is how it is now, people are already
allowed to make copies. She just wants to do it in a "CC way". For that
matter, people can download the file and not pay for it.

You see, she's not looking to make a fortune. She likes to write. Only a
minority of the people who download her file pay for it. But that's
enough to provide some income to pay for her web hosting so she can keep
writing for the world.

She likes the CC a lot and is looking for ways to make people aware of it
by using it on her website.

> I recommend you look at Cory Doctorow's experience releasing work under
> a CC license. It seems to work best when you look on CC'ing the work as
> a form of advertising or a way of building community and interest
> around the work.
>
> http://www.craphound.com/down/archives/2004_02.php#000117
> http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,57152,00.html

Cool.
This actually worked like that for her already. She recently got a book
published much this way.

Daniel Carrera | No trees were harmed in the generation of
Join OOoAuthors today! | this email. A significant number of electrons
http://www.oooauthors.org | were, however, severely inconvenienced.