cc-licenses - Re: CC license & commercial works.

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Daniel Carrera <dcarrera AT math.umd.edu>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: CC license & commercial works.
  • Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 12:37:37 -0500

Greg London wrote:

> The thing is the way she does it now
> (download for free, if you keep it, pay for it)
> doesn't jive with any CC license.
> Like someone already mentioned, with CC licenses,
> its permanently out of the bottle, there are no
> conditionals that activate other requirements.

Thank you for the explanation. Yes, that makes sense. After it's
downloaded, the user already has it under a license. It's done.

Thank you for the explanation.

> The closest she could come would be to change her
> model to download it for free, and here is my tip
> jar if you like it.

Knowing her, I think she will. She's not really out to become rich, she
just wants to cover her webhost so she can keep writing.

> She could try the most restrictive CC license to begin with
> CC-Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives
> put it on one story, and that would give her an excuse to
> put the CC Button on her website.

She already has a lot of non-commercial content on her site. And she's
already going to put that under a CC license. I guess that we're looking
at using CC as much as possible because CC is such a good idea.

I'll explain to her what you just told me and I'll suggest the tip jar.

Thanks for the help.

Daniel Carrera | No trees were harmed in the generation of
Join OOoAuthors today! | this email. A significant number of electrons
http://www.oooauthors.org | were, however, severely inconvenienced.