cc-licenses - CC license & commercial works.

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Daniel Carrera <dcarrera AT math.umd.edu>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: Jean Hollis Weber <jean AT taming-openoffice-org.com>
  • Subject: CC license & commercial works.
  • Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 05:28:28 -0500

Hello,

I have an author friend who wants to incorporate a Creative Commons
license into her commercial work. Let me explain:

She is a retired author who writes self-published books. She just puts a
PDF file on her website and says "you can download the PDF before buying
the book, if you keep the book, please pay for it". And the PDF itself
says that you are free to make copies for your friends. Payment is not
enforced at all, it's an honour system.

We are looking at how to modify this to include the CC. One idea is to
say "if you buy this book I'll give it to you under this CC license".

In practice, this is just like the current system. Except that it now has
a CC license. So, my question is, is this legally ok? If not, can
someone suggest an alternative?

Thank you for your help.

Daniel Carrera | No trees were harmed in the generation of
Join OOoAuthors today! | this email. A significant number of electrons
http://www.oooauthors.org | were, however, severely inconvenienced.