cc-licenses - Re: Can't find the right license

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Evan Prodromou <evan AT bad.dynu.ca>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Can't find the right license
  • Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 14:43:06 -0400

On Fri, 2004-29-10 at 11:43 -0400, Greg London wrote:
A gift is given freely and has no strings that attach it to the giver.
Cumulative advertising clauses or cumulative attributions could weigh down
on a gift-economy project enough to kill it.
I don't know of a license that has fewer requirements than Attribution. The only no-strings-attached provision is a Public Domain dedication.

I think a very healthy gift economy in Free Software has grown up with very light requirements (attribution, license notification, copyleft, disclaimer of warranty) on most Free licenses. I'd find it hard to defend the position that these licenses' requirements have made Free Software untenable.

~ESP

--
Evan Prodromou                  .O.
http://bad.dynu.ca/~evan/       ..O