cc-licenses - Re: Can't find the right license

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Evan Prodromou <evan AT bad.dynu.ca>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Can't find the right license
  • Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 20:00:55 -0400

On Fri, 2004-29-10 at 00:21 +0200, Gottfried Hofmann wrote:
> I think attribution should be viewed by its original name of "advertising
> clause". If you're using CC-BY for something, it should be for free
> advertising, not for any sort of gift-economy type project.

Full ack. For some reason, the gift economy is excluded from CC :-/
You know, I'm plenty happy to criticize the CC licenses, but that's just stupid. There are some problems with the licenses, I know, and the NonCommercial and NoDerivatives stuff coddles cowardly toe-dippers, but I think the Attribution and Attribution-ShareAlike licenses are as close to Free as any content licenses out there.

I'd be interested to hear why you think that Attribution is a jackboot on the neck of Freedom.

~ESP

--
Evan Prodromou                  .O.
http://bad.dynu.ca/~evan/       ..O