cc-licenses - Re: Why do you have to chose the "Attribution" option with the new CC 2.0 Licenses?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Rob Myers <robmyers AT mac.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Why do you have to chose the "Attribution" option with the new CC 2.0 Licenses?
  • Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 20:46:00 +0100
On 16 Aug 2004, at 20:36, evan AT wikitravel.org wrote:

But I think Attribution compares _extremely_ favorably to, say, Front Cover
and Back Cover Text requirements in the GFDL.

Thank you for the comparison table and the reference. I do agree that Attribution is inoffensive compared to BSD1 or GFDL. I do however still maintain that in some small way it is a limit on "Freedom". For example a large-scale Wiki site that used Attribution and then went for a print edition would have several pages of credits. Is this a problem? Not as much as endless advertisements. More so than nothing.

One thing with Attribution for content as opposed to software is that with software under the GPL you have to redistribute the source material. This means you can easily find the sources, use more of the source material and/or alter the source material. There's no such requirement for content under CC*, and I do think this is a problem with CC compared to GPL. Attribution redresses this in a way by allowing you to find the source material for derived works at least, and so may serve a useful purpose for consumers as well as producers.

- Rob.

* - By source material I mean, well, source material: the score, the script, all the takes, the graphical units, the samples and loops and MIDI files, the character descriptions, the model sheets, the geometry files, the layered image, whatever.