cc-licenses - Re: NonCommercial and recovering costs

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Evan Prodromou <evan AT wikitravel.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: NonCommercial and recovering costs
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 13:20:28 -0400

Todd A. Jacobs wrote:

Bottom line: you can do almost anything you like with a CC licensed
work, provided you don't redistribute it except under the terms of the
license.

I realize that. I'm just wondering if paying someone to do the reproduction or distribution would count as NonCommercial use on their part.

Another, weirder example: I pay a Web presence provider for a Web site, onto which I've put works under a *-nc-* license. Is the presence provider making money off this distribution? Yes. Are they doing it primarily for commercial advantage? Yes.

Are they involved in the distribution to the point where they're a party to the license? _That_ I don't know.

~ESP