cc-licenses - Re: Attribution Issue

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Rob Myers <robmyers AT mac.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Attribution Issue
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 21:38:35 +0100
On 26 May 2004, at 21:15, Glenn Otis Brown wrote:

if you don't want attribution, simply say so. the license provides for revoking the attribution requirement. or don't provide your name. read the actual text of the attribution clause.

"If You create a Collective Work, upon notice from any Licensor You must, to the extent practicable, remove from the Collective Work any reference to such Licensor or the Original Author, as requested. If You create a Derivative Work, upon notice from any Licensor You must, to the extent practicable, remove from the Derivative Work any reference to such Licensor or the Original Author, as requested."

I'm sorry - I actually read those two as one!!!! So much for speed reading. :-/
You *can* request removal of attribution. This is great. :-) Yes, it is much more elegant than CC 1.0.

A quick web search indicates that pseudonymous copyright claims are valid under US law, which makes sense. I'm not sure how someone could license something without providing their name at all, though.

Thank you for answering my (unfounded) concerns. Sorry for taking up your time with them.

- Rob.