cc-licenses - Re: Attribution Issue

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Rob Myers <robmyers AT mac.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Attribution Issue
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 09:32:34 +0100

On Wednesday, May 26, 2004, at 08:00AM, Evan Prodromou <evan AT wikitravel.org>
wrote:

>Anyways, I think Attribution is probably more analogous to the
>copyright clause in the license, which doesn't seem to get anybody up
>in arms.

BSD attribution is a pain to manage and difficult to keep track of. It is an
extra requirement on the user. Content is not software: where do you put
people's names on a painting?

Attribution may be important in Content in a way that it isn't in software
because there is no "source" to mark as open*. Identifying the source (the
origin) of the content in the actual product may therefore be the best way of
ensuring that content can continue to be shared.

Howabout content registries? Go to http://www.contentid.org/ and type in the
name of the piece, or an ISBN and a page number, and get the license and
contributor details back (all hyperlinked or with details for easy use). You
can cross-market this with mobile phone services that allow songs to be
identified, or seach engines that allow web pages or book content (like
Amazon) to be identified.

- Rob.

* - I appreciate that you can tag electronic media, but this breaks down for
performance without watermarking technology. And you can easily strip the
tags .