cc-licenses - Linux and Authority To Contribute

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Rob Myers <robmyers AT mac.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Linux and Authority To Contribute
  • Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 09:51:40 +0100

Recall that the Free Software Foundation keep signed documentation on
contributions to their projects, which use the GPL.

As a result of the current SCO debacle ("we own your code, prove that we
don't!"), the Linux leadership is looking at adding a representation of
authority to contribute to their submission procedure:

http://lwn.net/Articles/86436/
Via groklaw, http://www.groklaw.com/

Note that this is still external to the license (like the FSF keeping their
sign-offs separate from the GPL).Does having this separately make it
*better*, or is it just a historical wart and it should be part of a license
like CC1 and the OGL?

Also note the idea of a "web of trust" taken from public key cryptorgaphic
systems. This make explicit what is implicit in the OGL (that you trust the
person you're getting the previously licensed and Represented work from).

"So what I'm suggesting is that we start 'signing off' on patches, to show
the path it has come through, and to document that chain of trust. It also
allows middle parties to edit the patch without somehow 'losing' their names
- quite often the patch that reaches the final kernel is not exactly the same
as the original one, as it has gone through a few layers of people." - Linus
Torvalds

"Developer's Certificate of Origin 1.0

By making a contribution to this project, I certify that:

(a) The contribution was created in whole or in part by me and I have the
right to submit it under the open source license indicated in the file; or

(b) The contribution is based upon previous work that, to the best of my
knowledge, is covered under an appropriate open source license and I have the
right under that license to submit that work with modifications, whether
created in whole or in part by me, under the same open source license (unless
I am permitted to submit under a different license), as indicated in the
file; or

(c) The contribution was provided directly to me by some other person who
certified (a), (b) or (c) and I have not modified it. "

- Rob.