cc-licenses - Re: Warranty, Representation, Indemnification

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Evan Prodromou <evan AT wikitravel.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: Frank_Bridges AT ncsu.edu
  • Subject: Re: Warranty, Representation, Indemnification
  • Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 13:27:07 -0400

Me> Well, I think it's a moot point now. The 2.0 licenses are
Me> (half) out, and they not only don't have a representation, but
Me> explicitly disclaim any such representation.

FB> I am not a regular list reader so would someone please cc me
FB> any reply to this message. I have looked over the website but
FB> cannot find the referenced 2.0 licenses with the warranty
FB> disclaimor.

Sorry about that. As far as I know, the suite of 2.0 licenses have not
actually been released. The new Music Sharing License is a variant of
the Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 2.0 license. Actually, as
I understand it, it's not really a _variant_ so much as just a
_renaming_ plus a bit of decoration. I think the business world uses
the term 'rebranding'.

However, I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice, I don't speak
for Creative Commons. I dunno if there's significant variations or
not.

That's why I said the licenses were "half" out. One of the CC licenses
is available, but it's not called by its "normal" CC license name.

Anywho, the Music Sharing License is here:

http://creativecommons.org/license/music

And you can see the License Deed here:

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/2.0/deed-music

And the legal code here:

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/2.0/legalcode

Section 5 is the disclaimer of warranty and representation, as I
understand it.

~ESP

--
Evan Prodromou <evan AT wikitravel.org>