cc-licenses - Re: Founders' founders

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Rob Myers <robmyers AT mac.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Founders' founders
  • Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 14:26:13 +0100
On 12 Apr 2004, at 01:37, Evan Prodromou wrote:

If I can summarize: the deal is that the copyright holder sells their
work to Creative Commons for $1. CC then licenses the work back to the
copyright holder for 14 or 28 years. After that, assumably, the work
is dedicated the public domain.

Founders' is good because it makes people aware of how badly copyright has slipped since the Statute of Anne. I do think it works better as a provocation than as an actual license, but it's good to have it there. Given a choice between founders and CC-BY-SA (for example), I'd go CC.

I do wonder why the license can't just say "after 14 years this work is public domain", surely that's doable if you date it?

- Rob.